Just because a lot of TV is stupid doesn't mean we have to be.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dancing with the Stars: The Power of the Palin

Wow.

Holy smokes.

Really?

Wow.

The only person on the planet more in shock than Bristol Palin last night on the ouster episode of Dancing with the Stars was Brandy. Girlfriend was In. Shock. It would've been funny if it hadn't been so, well, shocking.

What is going on here? Why is Bristol Palin, clearly the least proficient of the last six celebrities on this season of Dancing with the Stars, in the final? The final! Not Rick Fox. Not Kurt Warner. Not Brandy. Bristol Palin.

Now, we could armchair analyze all this, trying to figure out if it is a right wing conspiracy, an Alaska conspiracy, an anti-Obama movement, whatever. I say why bother? She's the Taylor Hicks of Dancing with the Stars. Move on.

Let's focus instead on who I hope becomes the winner of this crazy mixed up Season 11. His name is Kyle Massey, and he is a roly-poly adorable and hilarious bundle of extended arms and pointed toes. I love this kid, and I love his partnership with the coarse and unrefined Lacey Schwimmer and I am really, really hoping that he takes that disco ball. It would be a big win for the Unskinny.

As a woman of a certain age I suppose I should be rooting for Jennifer Grey, and honestly, I am glad to see her do this well (and how adorable is her husband?) but I want Kyle to win it.

As for Bristol, I'm glad for her that she has had this opportunity to succeed in what I think is a life that has so far not had much success. I'm glad that this has given her some confidence in herself (which was clearly lacking). But I'm not so glad for her that I want her to prevail. Because if you take away all the back story and all the politics and all the whatever-the-hell-is-happening here, she does not deserve to be where she is.

What did you think of last night's shocking ouster? And how great is Annie Lennox?

No comments:

Post a Comment