Just because a lot of TV is stupid doesn't mean we have to be.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

America's Got Talent: Boatloads of talent, actually

OK, so in a little while we will find out who the Top 4 on America's Got Talent will be. Pins and needles I'm on, kids. Pins and needles.

Of the top 10, two who are out are easy: Christina and Ali and Taylor Matthews. I mean really. Neither should've been invited to this party in the first place. The sisters, both of whom have a heartbreaking story in that they have cystic fibrosis, are sweet and lovely. But they are not good singers. Certainly not as good as Alice whatshername who was sent packing last week by the judges. And Taylor Matthews makes Justin Bieber look like Pavarotti. Weak-voiced. Cute, but weak. So, bye-bye to them.

Then it gets a little tricky. I'd say Anna and Patryk, the ballroom dancing tweens, but she fell down at the start of their number last night and got right back and troopered her way through and then burst into tears when it was all over. America loves that kind of intestinal fortitude. So, who knows. They should go, though.

Perhaps the also very nice Jeremy Vanschoonhoven should also go, because while he seems very nice and sincere and his act certainly causes cuts and bruises, how much of one man bouncing up and down on a mountain bike with no seat does a paying customer want to see? Me, I'm about done with this act.

That leaves magician Michael Grasso, popera singer Prince Poppycock, frat boys Frighting Gravity, opera star Jackie Evancho, dance troupe Studio One Young Beast Society, and soulman Michael Grimm.

And this is where it gets really tricky. I think Studio One will be out, because, well, they are a dance troupe. But I look forward to seeing them perform an awesome routine during halftime at the Connecticut Sun next summer, where all acts like this from America's Got Talent end up. In a good way.

And now I'm stumped. I'm not a Jackie fan, I think that voice from a 10-year-old is downright creepy, and the poor thing is so rehearsed in every movement, look, and word that comes out of her mouth that I am guessing she is a Stepford Child. So she will go through, but not because of me.

I love Michael Grasso the magician. The trick last night was awesome. I felt the same way Howie did: HOW DID HE DO THAT? Plus, I love magicians in general. Like I love ventriloquists. Terry Fator. I'm just saying.

Michael Grimm is a singer. You know how I feel about singers on America's Got Talent. Go away. So while I think ol' Eeyore Grimm is perfectly talented, I don't want him to win.

So my favorite two, the two I'd like to see go head to head in the finale, is Prince Poppycock and Fighting Gravity. For all kinds of reasons, chief among them that are both ridiculously talented and creative and they keep getting better and better. I'd totally pay to see either, for different reasons.

Plus how fun would it be to have Mr. Gaga face off against the batch of frat brothers. Talk about a melting pot.

What do you think? Who are your Top 4?

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with u. That voice on that little girl is creepy. I would like to see Prince Poppycock win.

    ReplyDelete